Tuesday, June 2, 2009

All I Really Want

to want:1: to fail to possess especially in customary or required amount : lack

I finally settled on a title. All I Really Want. It has a pleathora of meanings and symbolism. First of all, it is the name of the first song on my all-time favorite record by Alanis Morissettes Jagged Little Pill. Secondly, we live in a world of mass consumption. Everything is bigger, better, faster, smaller, more high-tech, more money, more fame, more, more, more. Simplicity is dead. Satisfaction is gone. Nobody is content anymore. Everyone is constantly striving for the next best thing. A bigger house, a faster car, a smaller phone, a quick-fix to lifes problems. People these days are constantly in a state of wanting. And I am not different.

I am the prototypical only child. I wanted siblings but never got them. That sense of independance coupled with lonliness that only an only child can relate to is a driving force in many of my actions. I am constantly longing for something, something that is mine, something that I can possess with all of my being. Since, I am a fan of lists(more on my love of lists another time), I will make a list of all the things I am currently longing for.

  • money
  • something to fill the gaps between the passage of time, and the development of my thoughts ie: a job(i sorta have that...or will soon)
  • my license
  • the feeling I had on December 2, 2008.
  • something new and exciting that I can explore and feel passionate about
  • the next few weeks to come and go swiftly and painlessly(relatively speaking)

Wow, surprisingly, that is the shortest list I think I have ever compiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment