Thursday, July 14, 2011

war zone

The place I laid my head to rest
safe inside my big girl bed
The games I played down in the street
Roller blading and gazing at the trees
Staring out my window late at night
wishing on a star so bright
Mother May I, Simon Says
It's getting dark it's almost time for bed

this is the place where I grew up
this is the place where I learned to love
this is the only home I have ever known
this is the place I learned to grow
Now my neighborhood is a war zone

Skipping through the park after school
Watching Nickelodeon totally rules
Play dates and baby dolls
Trick-or-treat up and down the street on Halloween
play dough and finger paint selling girl scout cookies in the rain

this is the place where I grew up
this is the place where I learned to love
this is the only home I have ever known
this is the place where I learned to grow
Now my neighborhood is a war zone

Road rage, violence, gun shots as the sun sets
A family torn apart all so senseless
police, detectives, yellow tape and sirens
i look out the window and all i see is violence
this is my home not the 11 o'clock news

this is the place where I grew up
this is the place where I learned to love
this is the only home I have ever known
this is the place where I learned to grow
Now my neighborhood is a war zone

2 comments:

  1. I feel a little better knowing it was an isolated incident with a specific motive; I went out to the grocery store right after and was on edge wondering if it was a random shooter roaming the neighborhood looking for trouble. I'm still shaken up, though. I hope I never have to hear gunshots, again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still on edge, and it appears they are still on the hunt for the guy. I hope I never have to hear this sort of thing again.

    ReplyDelete