I want to be a kid again,
Everything was simple when I was little
I want to collect Lisa Frank stickers
and put them on my lunchbox
I want to play in the park
the sprinklers and sandbox
Play at the beach and build sandcastles
Ride my bike with the basket and tassles on the handles
Go swimming at camp, splashing in the pool
in my little blue flowered swimsuit
Run around after school
Play dates and girl scouts
Brownies RULE!
Sell cookies in the spring
I want to be the best in my troupe
I want to go back to a time when I could play in my room with cabbage patch and barbies
tell a story of make-believe with my dollhouse
Listen to songs on cassette
on my little stereo
singing into a hairbrush
a concert for animals, lined up on my bed
all my adoring fans
All my friends said I was the best dancer they knew
So little and flexible, I had all the right moves
Once school let out for summer
I knew camp was around the corner
the way the air smelled
I knew the best times were to be had in the summer heat
when I could tell stories with wet hair and jelly shoes with all of my summer friends
The summer lasted forever
Not a worry in the world
Candy and ice-cream
lanyard and mood rings
friendship necklaces that say "Best Friends"
with a broken heart
little did we know
Friends forever we'd squeal
Nothing lasts forever I now know
except childhood memories
reflections of a more innocent time
a time, like time itself you can never get back
No comments:
Post a Comment